From Nelson Ross Laguna, OPSEU Staff Rep for Region 4, for immediate distribution…
Subject: Local 415 Election
Term of Office: January 1, 2020 to December 31, 2021
Steward Nominations close November 13, 2019 4:00PM.
Union elections are held in two stages. First is the election of stewards who are nominated and elected by members of their campus location. The elected stewards constitute the Local Executive Committee (LEC).
The second stage is the election of officers: President, First Vice President, Second Vice President, Chief Steward, Secretary and Treasurer. To be eligible for nomination as an officer, one must have been elected as a steward.
The number of stewards is determined by the number of union members on each campus:
Six Good Reasons to Run for Steward:
1. No experience is necessary and you will learn a great deal. Your learning will be supported by experienced members on the Local Executive, to whom you can refer any questions or problems.
2. It is not a major time commitment – minimally, one two-hour meeting per month and availability to answer or refer your colleagues’ questions. Beyond that, your level of involvement is up to you.
3. You will be actively involved in local decision-making.
4. It is informative: at our monthly meetings, you will find out from other stewards what is going on in other parts of the college.
5. You will earn the gratitude of your departmental colleagues who may come to you for assistance.
6. You will assist in building a strong organization to advocate for faculty.
Nominations must be sent to the Faculty Union Office in C215B by Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 4:00 PM.
I, nominate _____________________________________ (Name of Nominee) to serve as steward for
____________________________________________, (Name of Campus) until December 2021. Signature
of Nominator: __________________________________
I, _____________________________________ accept the nomination (Signature of Nominee)