Earlier today, the College announced that it will be extending Winter term partial-load contracts previously scheduled to end mid-April to May 1, 2020. The local had been advocating for the College to compensate part-time faculty for time spent on COVID-19-related additional work, including the extension of the grade deadline and we are encouraged that the College has taken the right approach here.
This week we are also learning that the College has continued to reduce course delivery for the summer, which is unfortunately adding stress for all part-time faculty. If you have learned that you will not have a contract for the Spring/Summer term, federal and provincial governments have announced a number of support measures to help mitigate the financial impact. Below is some general information:
- The Government of Canada has initiated the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), temporary income support of $500 per week for up to 16 weeks.
- Here is a link to a page that distinguishes between Employment Insurance (EI) and the CERB.
- Details of other governmental programs are found here.
- For people with children, there is also a one-time benefit from Ontario.
- The OPSEU Frequently Asked Questions page on income support provides additional information.
If you have any questions or concerns about your individual situation, please contact us at COMMS@locallines.org and a steward will get back to you as soon as possible.
President, OPSEU Local 415